A summer vacation in Cape Cod is magical with plenty of things to do, plenty of places to eat, and of course those perfect summer sunsets. If you’re planning the perfect Cape Cod vacation this summer then these 10 activities better be included!
- Spend the day at the beach: With 40 miles of protected seashore at the Cape Cod National Seashore, you’ll be able to find a stretch of sand for a fun day of relaxing at the beach. Or, you can explore the walking and biking trails or visit the lighthouses.
- Take a journey on the Cape Cod Rail Trail: The trail runs over former railroad tracks for 22 miles from Dennis to Wellfleet and is perfect for cycling enthusiasts. The trail also accommodates walkers, runners, and horseback riders on the shoulder.
- Visit the Heritage Museums & Gardens: Located in Sandwich, the Heritage Museums & Gardens is a perfect stop on a lovely summer afternoon for family-friendly fun. Open daily from mid-April to early October, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m., you can explore the beautiful blooms in the gardens, take the little ones to Hidden Hollow or the Adventure Park, as well as check out the art galleries and installations.
- See the whales: Climb aboard the boat for a trip with Hyannis Whale Watcher Cruises! Tours can last up to four hours as you circle the Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary to feed in the warmer months. Staff is on-hand to help identify the whales you’re seeing and provide tips for a better whale watching experience. Departures can begin as early as 8 a.m. and as late as 4 p.m. during the season.
- Sip a brew at Cape Cod Beer: Take a tour of the brewery and enjoy a tasting at Cape Cod Beer. Tastings are $5 for five samples (3 oz. pours) and you can keep the souvenir tasting glass! You can opt for a self-guided tour or take a guided version at 11 a.m., Monday through Saturday.
- Ride the rails: All aboard the Cape Train on the Cape Cod Central Railroad! Take a scenic ride from Hyannis through West Barnstable and Sandwich to see sights you can only see by train. Try one of the specialty rides for brunch, lunch, dinner, or the Rails & Ales Beer Tasting Train!
- Sample fine wine: Visit Truro Vineyards of Cape Cod for a free tour at 1 or 3 p.m. and stay for a tasting that’s just $10 for five pours and a souvenir glass. Perfect for summer, try the rosé, riesling, or sauvignon blanc if available.
- Catch a show: See a performance at The Cape Playhouse in Dennis for the perfect end to a day in Cape Cod. World-class talent has been drawn to the theater for more than 90 years and each summer season brings a mix of musicals and premieres to the stage.
- Enjoy a lobster roll: We recommend stopping by The Black Cat Tavern, right in Hyannis, for an amazing lobster roll (a real classic dish in Cape Cod) for a filling lunch or dinner.
- Cool off with some ice cream:Visit the Cape Cod Creamery for a cool treat this summer! The ice cream shop has tons of unique flavors that are named after towns and regions in Cape Cod – so perhaps you should try the Hyannis Heath Bar during a stay with us? Though we understand if you’re tempted by the Iyannough Cookie Dough or Orleans Oreo.
There are plenty more adventures waiting in Cape Cod and Hyannis and we invite you to come discover why Cape Cod is the perfect vacation destination this summer. If you’re looking for affordable accommodations for your getaway, check out our guest rooms at Hyannis Holiday Motel!